One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vigorous Scottish dance consisting of a series of complex steps performed solo, originally to celebrate victory.
- ‘The men donned kilts, while the women joined in reels and Highland flings.’
- ‘At one point they do a Gay Gordons and then a sort of Highland fling.’
- ‘I have wanted to come since I was 10 years old and I had a Scottish nanny called Janet Stewart who taught me how to do the Highland fling.’
- ‘Other numbers featured the Highland fling, a lively Scottish folk dance complete with bagpipes, but combined with elements of ballroom dance, modern dance and even disco, with the troupe members decked out in various glitzy costumes.’
- ‘Competitors danced the Highland fling, the sword dance, the Highland reel, the sailor's hornpipe, the Irish Jig and other dances, preferably to the music of the bagpipe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.