One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing in the traditional style of the Scottish Highlands, now chiefly worn on formal occasions and including the kilt.
- ‘Although Highland dress was proscribed in the wake of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion, it returned with a vengeance in the 19th century.’
- ‘The repeal of 1782 reinstated Highland dress and it soon became all the rage with all classes of society.’
- ‘The only rig permitted at most of the Highland balls is white tie or Highland dress.’
- ‘They were followed by military bands, pipers in Highland dress and vintage military vehicles.’
- ‘One of his favourite memories, he says, was ‘when my dad marched Sonny through the streets of Glasgow in full Highland dress.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.