Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Education at universities or similar educational establishments, especially to degree level.
- ‘The government and the heads of elite universities argue that more money is needed to fund higher education.’
- ‘He encourages them to study and hopes that they will go on to higher education.’
- ‘Student debt is set to remain an obstacle to widening access to higher education, research suggests.’
- ‘The number of pupils from his school entering higher education has doubled in a year.’
- ‘The rest of the developed world is placing an absolute premium on higher education.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.