One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A court that can overrule the decision of another.
- ‘The legal system depends on lower-court judges obeying higher courts, just as it depends on litigants obeying judges.’
- ‘Judges should take a consistent approach to recurring issues and are obliged to follow the decisions of earlier cases, at least when they have been given by the higher courts.’
- ‘This past April, however, Utah's attorney general asked the higher court to reinstate the original charges.’
- ‘After the court handed down its verdict of 1,020 yuan compensation, the plaintiff appealed to a higher court but lost his appeal.’
- ‘She said in mid-June that she would go to a higher court and appeal the decision.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.