Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electrical potential large enough to cause injury or damage.
- ‘The capacitors on the input of the high-voltage rectifier have a 470F rating each.’
- ‘She then charged her palm with electricity and fired a high-voltage blast of energy towards the stricken war machines.’
- ‘This put low - voltage contractors under the direction of the high-voltage contractors.’
- ‘Ever afterwards, they skirted the boundaries of our property as if we'd wired the perimeter with high-voltage electricity.’
- ‘Ac power is converted to a high-voltage Dc current, which an oscillator or resonator outputs as an alternating current.’
- ‘Alas, not only had a transistor blown, the short had wrecked the high-voltage circuitry.’
- ‘A fault on a high-voltage network cut electricity to the town centre for nearly five hours.’
- ‘They weren't just being thrown, it was if they were being shocked by high-voltage electricity.’
- ‘Plus, the Lifters are tethered to their power supplies by a thin wire that provides the necessary high-voltage electricity.’
- ‘As the space station floats through space in low-Earth orbit, the surface of the structure builds up a static high-voltage charge.’
- ‘The flash circuit stores this high-voltage charge in a large capacitor.’
- ‘Essential to the upgraded free-electron laser is a dependable high-voltage electron gun.’
- ‘If a charged, high-voltage capacitor is short circuited by a thin wire, the resulting huge current and power dissipation will cause the wire to actually explode.’
- ‘The mechanism was rigged and dangerous: The big capacitor dumps out through a transformer, creating a high-voltage surge to ignite the bulb.’
- ‘Bagnell, who was high on cocaine and other drugs, was hit by the high-voltage charge of a police Taser in a Vancouver hotel room.’
- ‘Early in the film, a ruthless couple fabricate a murder using high-voltage electricity in one of the ECT suites.’
- ‘For high-voltage events, the UPS is usually equipped with filtering electronics that are capable of reducing the voltage.’
- ‘The boy had been seriously electrocuted when the bat struck a high-voltage cable.’
- ‘Eight people were killed Saturday when a high-voltage power line pole collapsed on a busy market in the Moroccan port of Casablanca.’
- ‘Discovering he had forgotten his key, Soo climbed an electrical pole and accidentally touched a high-voltage cable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.