Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The open ocean, especially that not within any country's jurisdiction.‘drift-net fishing on the high seas’‘it has seized ships on the high seas and has shot down planes in international airspace’
- ‘Little explanation so far has been offered as to why he was left for so long on his vessel as it drifted on the high seas before a second helicopter was sent out.’
- ‘Once oil is out of the ground, in tankers on the high seas, no single country can dictate its destination.’
- ‘The U.S. Navy intercepts migrant ships on the high seas and sends bogus refugees home.’
- ‘This week we return to the Yorkshire coast for an altogether more swashbuckling tale of pirates on the high seas.’
- ‘The signals were an essential measure to ensure safe navigation for vessels bound for the high seas.’
- ‘There was a procession to St Margaret's Church for a special service of prayer for the men fighting the U-boat menace on the high seas.’
- ‘The goods are thought to represent the cargoes of ships looted on the high seas.’
- ‘Owned by a German charity of the same name, one of the ship's missions is to assist boat people risking their lives on the high seas.’
- ‘The bulk of the story is set on board a ship on the high seas towards the end of the Napoleonic Wars.’
- ‘The early hours of last Wednesday morning saw the Jeanie Johnston hoist its sails yet again and head for the high seas.’
- ‘After sailing lessons, join a crew for the competition and hit the high seas.’
- ‘These men are modern-day pirates, bringing terror to the high seas.’
- ‘He joined Scindia Steam Navigation as a sea cadet and sailed the high seas for the next 10 years.’
- ‘In the early days the concern was piracy on the high seas.’
- ‘Jurisdiction over a vessel on the high seas resides solely with the State to which the vessel belongs.’
- ‘It would have to be done in international waters, in the high seas while the vessel was in motion.’
- ‘Piracy has flourished on the high seas for as long as maritime commerce has existed between states.’
- ‘In customary law, only the flag state has jurisdiction to enforce regulations applicable to vessels on the high seas.’
- ‘The helicopter crew also demonstrated how an injured man could be rescued from a fishing boat in the high seas.’
- ‘International straits are part of the high seas where freedom of navigation is guaranteed to all.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.