One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Roman Catholic or Anglo-Catholic mass with full ceremonial, including music and incense and typically having the assistance of a deacon and subdeacon.
- ‘I am almost certain that it is Anglican, but I was somewhat confused by the noticeboard outside advertising High Mass and Low Mass, and, inside the smell of incense.’
- ‘The Kyrie-Christe eleison, the Sanctus and the Agnus Dei are repeated three times in the course of a Low Mass and in addition, in the course of a High Mass, the censer is swung three times to waft incense over altar, servers and people.’
- ‘The details of the Mass are yet to be decided - whether it will be an intensely solemn High Mass or the more simple one requested by the last Pope, John Paul I.’
- ‘On the Sunday after Christmas, there were just two sopranos and three basses in the choir at High Mass.’
- ‘Over the past seven days, more than 600 people came to hear Pope John Paul sing a High Mass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.