One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular A race in which runners jump over hurdles 107 cm (42 inches) high.
- ‘In high school Jaime set two Ohio Valley Athletic Conference track records for high hurdles and long jump, and earned an athletic scholarship to the Naval Academy in Maryland.’
- ‘Top sprinters were Idris Ojuriye and Edwin Banfo, while Ashley Healey returned to competition after major surgery to win the high hurdles.’
- ‘Kristi, a high school athlete in basketball, volleyball, softball and track (pole-vaulting, high hurdles, low hurdles and relay), won both to take the overall title.’
- ‘He also competed in the All-Ireland junior indoor events in Nenagh in January where he came second in the long jump and third in the high hurdles.’
- ‘She was allowed to compete in only three events - it was thought at the time that women were too frail to do more - and won gold medals in the javelin and the 80-meter high hurdles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.