One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular A race in which runners jump over hurdles 107 cm (42 inches) high.
- ‘Top sprinters were Idris Ojuriye and Edwin Banfo, while Ashley Healey returned to competition after major surgery to win the high hurdles.’
- ‘Kristi, a high school athlete in basketball, volleyball, softball and track (pole-vaulting, high hurdles, low hurdles and relay), won both to take the overall title.’
- ‘He also competed in the All-Ireland junior indoor events in Nenagh in January where he came second in the long jump and third in the high hurdles.’
- ‘She was allowed to compete in only three events - it was thought at the time that women were too frail to do more - and won gold medals in the javelin and the 80-meter high hurdles.’
- ‘In high school Jaime set two Ohio Valley Athletic Conference track records for high hurdles and long jump, and earned an athletic scholarship to the Naval Academy in Maryland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.