One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The standard literary and spoken form of German, originally used in the highlands in the south of Germany. The establishment of this form as a standard language owes much to the biblical translations of Martin Luther in the 16th century.
- ‘In 1788 Gauss began his education at the Gymnasium, where he learnt High German and Latin.’
- ‘Soon after, we were honored to be invited to an Amish church service, conducted in High German.’
- ‘Austria is the only country other than Germany where the official language is German, and approximately 98 percent of the population speaks High German or a dialect of it.’
- ‘Sandra, like many in Switzerland, is multi-lingual; she knows Swiss German, High German, French, Spanish and English.’
- ‘In the poet's home, the language was High German, while the wider community generally used the more Latinate Romanian.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.