One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A supreme court of justice.
- ‘Smith's case had brought unusual drama to the normally sedate high court.’
- ‘The Canadians' own high court has recognized the Mi'kmaq's treaty right to earn a livelihood by fishing.’
- ‘Malawi's high court ordered local authorities to follow the law and either charge or release the five men, all of whom were foreigners.’
- ‘She notes that Canada's high court has held that to be constitutional, a law must promote equality.’
- ‘When she arrived at Cairo's high court last week for a disciplinary hearing against two pro-democracy judges, she was grabbed by several men.’
- 1.1 (in England and Wales) the court of unlimited civil jurisdiction comprising three divisions: Queen's Bench, Chancery, and the Family Division.
- ‘However, it underestimated the calibre of its policyholders, which included high court judges.’
- ‘The legal battle, which included rulings by two Education Secretaries, a judicial review and a high court appeal hearing, is estimated to have cost the council £1m.’
- ‘The case is expected to go before London's high court next year.’
- ‘The only appeal is by way of judicial review in the high court - although aggrieved parents can also complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.’
- ‘The case surrounding the two directors was heard at the High Court of Justice in London.’
- 1.2 The supreme criminal court of Scotland.
- ‘In support of the first argument, strong reliance is placed upon the decision of the majority of the High Court of Justiciary in McIntosh v HM Advocate.’
- ‘He was arrested in England and taken to Scotland, where he was put on trial before a jury in the High Court of Justiciary in Edinburgh.’
- ‘A spokesman for the High Court of Justiciary in Edinburgh said yesterday that a date had been fixed for a preliminary hearing in October.’
- ‘I would hold therefore that the decision of the High Court of Justiciary to reduce the appellant's sentence by nine months in order to compensate him for the effects of the delay was an appropriate and sufficient remedy.’
- ‘He can appeal to the High Court of Justiciary if a sheriff decides to extradite him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.