Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An embassy of one Commonwealth country in another.‘the Australian High Commission in Port Vila’
- ‘Britain closed its embassy in Indonesia and high commission in Singapore.’
- ‘The police force regularly updates the high commission in Delhi with progress and the investigation is constantly reviewed.’
- ‘Diplomats at the British high commission have been put on full alert and told to prepare for an evacuation at any time.’
- ‘Security was also tightened around the British and Australian high commissions.’
- ‘Before travelling anywhere, check the latest visa requirements well in advance, with your travel agent, tour operator or the embassy or high commission of the countries you intend to visit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.