Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An embassy of one Commonwealth country in another.‘the Australian High Commission in Port Vila’
- ‘The police force regularly updates the high commission in Delhi with progress and the investigation is constantly reviewed.’
- ‘Before travelling anywhere, check the latest visa requirements well in advance, with your travel agent, tour operator or the embassy or high commission of the countries you intend to visit.’
- ‘Britain closed its embassy in Indonesia and high commission in Singapore.’
- ‘Diplomats at the British high commission have been put on full alert and told to prepare for an evacuation at any time.’
- ‘Security was also tightened around the British and Australian high commissions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.