One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In many different places.‘I searched high and low for a new teacher’
everywhere, all over, all around, in all places, in every place, far and wide, far and near, here, there, and everywhere, extensively, exhaustively, thoroughly, widely, broadly, in every nook and crannyView synonyms
- ‘I too have searched high and low for an English translation of the Thai Highway Code, to no avail.’
- ‘He is part of the family and we have been searching high and low for him.’
- ‘Just about this very time four years ago rescue workers had been searching high and low for him.’
- ‘I searched high and low, but I couldn't find you and no one seemed to know where you were.’
- ‘At the end of the day this crime is unprecedented, we are searching high and low to find who is responsible.’
- ‘I have searched high and low for it and have even been round to local shops, but no one has seen it.’
- ‘Their distraught owners, who have searched high and low for their missing pets, fear it is more than a coincidence.’
- ‘Before searching high and low for a buyer, you might consider donating the items to charity.’
- ‘We searched high and low but there was no trace of the poor fellow and we had no choice but to continue.’
- ‘He and Grover had searched high and low for the letter yesterday, but it had been nowhere to be found.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.