One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chief altar of a church, typically in the chancel.
- ‘The site contains a wealth of carvings, well preserved cloisters and the only sculptured 15th Century high altar to survive in any monastic church in Ireland.’
- ‘Beneath the high altar of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, in the wind-worn province of Galicia, Spain, lies a silver sarcophagus containing the relics of St. James the Greater.’
- ‘One of the abbey's most famous features is the 14th century Washington Window, which is to be found high up in the choir area near the high altar.’
- ‘Down a narrow flight of stairs, underneath the high altar, is the tiny grotto in which Christ is said to have been born.’
- ‘In 1518 he produced, for the high altar of the church of the Frari, one of his most world-renowned masterpieces, the Assumption of the Madonna, now in the Venetian Academy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.