One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chief altar of a church, typically in the chancel.
- ‘The site contains a wealth of carvings, well preserved cloisters and the only sculptured 15th Century high altar to survive in any monastic church in Ireland.’
- ‘Beneath the high altar of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, in the wind-worn province of Galicia, Spain, lies a silver sarcophagus containing the relics of St. James the Greater.’
- ‘One of the abbey's most famous features is the 14th century Washington Window, which is to be found high up in the choir area near the high altar.’
- ‘In 1518 he produced, for the high altar of the church of the Frari, one of his most world-renowned masterpieces, the Assumption of the Madonna, now in the Venetian Academy.’
- ‘Down a narrow flight of stairs, underneath the high altar, is the tiny grotto in which Christ is said to have been born.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.