One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to food or a diet that is high or relatively high in fat, especially saturated fat.‘high-fat diets are associated with higher risks of heart disease’‘high-fat dairy foods, such as cheese, butter, and ice cream’
- ‘The French tend to have fewer heart attacks and cancers, despite consuming high-fat diets.’
- ‘Whatever you do, don't give in to temptation and reach for high-fat foods.’
- ‘In midsummer, a physiological switch goes off in a grizzly bear's body, and the animal experiences an overwhelming urge to eat almost continuously, particularly high-sugar and high-fat foods.’
- ‘There's no doubt that the popularity of fast food's high-fat menus has had at least some part to play in America's weight problem.’
- ‘Its investigation of the health issues led to an ultimatum: eliminate all high-sugar and high-fat food within 10 years.’
- ‘Avoid high-fat and high-sugar foods, which can aggravate stress levels, causing immune-system dysfunction.’
- ‘"A shift is occurring toward high-fat, better-tasting foods," he says.’
- ‘When energy reserves are low, people often turn to high-fat and high-sugar foods or caffeinated beverages for an energy pick-me-up.’
- ‘"Dark chocolate and high-fat cocoa powders work well in ice cream."’
- ‘Most high-fat eaters have trouble controlling their weight, because they don't have enough energy for an adequate workout.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.