One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to food or a diet that is high or relatively high in fat, especially saturated fat.‘high-fat diets are associated with higher risks of heart disease’‘high-fat dairy foods, such as cheese, butter, and ice cream’
- ‘Most high-fat eaters have trouble controlling their weight, because they don't have enough energy for an adequate workout.’
- ‘Whatever you do, don't give in to temptation and reach for high-fat foods.’
- ‘When energy reserves are low, people often turn to high-fat and high-sugar foods or caffeinated beverages for an energy pick-me-up.’
- ‘Avoid high-fat and high-sugar foods, which can aggravate stress levels, causing immune-system dysfunction.’
- ‘There's no doubt that the popularity of fast food's high-fat menus has had at least some part to play in America's weight problem.’
- ‘"A shift is occurring toward high-fat, better-tasting foods," he says.’
- ‘"Dark chocolate and high-fat cocoa powders work well in ice cream."’
- ‘In midsummer, a physiological switch goes off in a grizzly bear's body, and the animal experiences an overwhelming urge to eat almost continuously, particularly high-sugar and high-fat foods.’
- ‘Its investigation of the health issues led to an ultimatum: eliminate all high-sugar and high-fat food within 10 years.’
- ‘The French tend to have fewer heart attacks and cancers, despite consuming high-fat diets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.