Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a film or television plot) having a striking and easily communicable idea.‘Cohen's high-concept script is a nail-biter’
- ‘Hustle begins outside a pub called The Red Herring, a none-too-subtle indication that all is not as it seems in the BBC's latest high-concept drama.’
- ‘Aside from the high-concept premise, the film's plot is a throwaway, a rigidly routine story involving a Latin American drug lord and some high-powered weapons.’
- ‘How many high-concept romantic comedies can one moviegoer take?’
- ‘Kiefer Sutherland stars in this high-concept piece of TV programming.’
- ‘The series itself was high-concept, even if its constituent videos sometimes were not.’
- ‘In the movie's satisfyingly high-concept plot, there is more at stake than a man's sense of self in a big city.’
- ‘Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is a high-concept comedy about a wacky scientist who accidentally, well, shrinks his kids.’
- ‘He's a good filmmaker, but one thing is certain: no one will ever accuse Dowse's films of being too high-concept.’
- ‘This production is also reaching for the top with a cutting-edge, high-concept set design.’
- ‘In fact, it is a full-size, extremely elegant, high-concept publication with a beautiful, clear design and impressive art and photographs.’
- ‘Beginning with The Andromeda Strain in 1969, Hollywood has feasted for years on Crichton's best-selling novels and high-concept screenplays.’
- ‘Kevin Orr admits that the Midsummer Night's Dream he has directed for this summer's Shakespeare-in-the-Park is rather high-concept.’
- ‘A high-concept, low-budget serial killer flick that knows it's got a hook worth hocking, and so does, relentlessly.’
- ‘Our comedy today tends to be high-concept, slightly artsy, heavily ironical.’
- ‘At first glance it has the hallmarks of a high-concept survivors drama but then, is it actually science-fiction?’
- ‘This is, as has been pointed out in the myriad good reviews the book's received, high-concept stuff.’
- ‘Increasingly, hotels are high-concept temples to the urban lifestyle.’
- ‘It shouldn't be like this - there should be room for high ideas and art even in a high-concept movie, but it seems these days that few distributors are interested in releasing movies like this.’
- ‘To help keep the world interested, the whole thing could be filmed for an exciting high-concept reality TV show celebrating human tragedy in grand fashion.’
- ‘Sadly what follows is a meandering, hokey apocalyptic tale more befitting a Saturday morning of Hanna-Barbara cartoons than a high-concept, big-budget Hollywood movie.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.