One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a red or flushed complexion.‘her plain, high-coloured features’
red, pink, ruddy, glowing, reddish, pinkish, florid, healthy-looking, aglow, burning, flaming, feverish, rubicund, roseate, rosyView synonyms
- ‘His height was only 5 feet 2 inches; he had red hair, a high-coloured, handsome, but inexpressive face, and a slight limp.’
- ‘The high-coloured women with pinched faces were straight out of Orwell.’
- ‘She shook her head, ruefully, at the plump, high-coloured face in the mirror, then went out to water the garden.’
- ‘Becky saw a big, hearty, high-coloured man whose abounding vitality brought a gust of life into every existence.’
- ‘Nikole was dark, with olive skin and high-colored cheeks and mouth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.