One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The protrusion of an organ, typically the stomach, through the oesophageal opening in the diaphragm.
- ‘High fibre foods minimize the risk of constipation, colon and rectal cancer, hiatus hernia, heart disease and obesity.’
- ‘The only problem with highly concentrated tomato products is that they may aggravate acid-related conditions like indigestion, hiatus hernia and rheumatoid arthritis.’
- ‘Most of the time, reflux is associated with hiatus hernia or prolapse of stomach into the food pipe, which is quite troublesome.’
- ‘She underwent surgery to correct a serious hiatus hernia which doctors afterward told her was life-threatening.’
- ‘This is called a hiatus hernia, and it causes pain and heartburn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.