Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A six-legged arthropod belonging to the class Hexapoda:‘researchers noted that hexapods and crustaceans shared a different set of important morphological characters’‘the oldest known land animal is a hexapod found in Scotland, dated at 405 million years’
- ‘The matter focuses on an order of minuscule hexapods called collembolans, or springtails, which includes thousands of species.’
- ‘Major sections cover the relationships and evolution of each order of hexapods, or six-legged creatures.’
- ‘Phylogenetic analyses of a wide variety of gene sequences all support the hypothesis that hexapods and crustaceans form a monophyletic group to the exclusion of myriapods and chelicerates.’
- ‘There are three lineages of primitively wingless hexapods that lack a dorsal appendage branch, and one, the Archaeognatha, with such a branch.’
- ‘Presumably (assuming insects do derive from Crustacea) primitive hexapods evolved from marginal marine and amphibious crustaceans during the late Silurian or early Devonian.’
2A six-legged robot:‘each of the hexapod's legs are equipped with pressure sensors which allow the bot to respond to its terrain’
- ‘The hexapod is ideal for many applications including industrial automation and manufacturing.’
- ‘The hexapod had to be considerably lightened and overhauled with a body made from carbon fiber instead of ABS plastic.’
- ‘We just saw a hexapod which deposits hot glue as it roams.’
- ‘It is actually the second version of the largest all-terrain hexapod in the world.’
- ‘With six legs, the hexapod tootles along quite happily at 26 centimeters per second.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek hexapous, hexapod-, from hex six + pous foot.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.