One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American plant with dark green round or heart-shaped leaves and slender stems of tiny flowers.
- ‘Even though they have small flowers, hummingbirds like heucheras.’
- ‘Coral bells, or heucheras, have gotten a lot of attention of late for their colorful, patterned leaves.’
- ‘Growing in part shade, the clusters of pure white bell-shaped flowers look their best as the sun moves from them and they are left to give a patch of light in front of a dark-leaved heuchera.’
- ‘In the bed above, deep pink primroses play off the purple-leafed heuchera, pale yellow daffodils, and pink azaleas.’
- ‘Ferns, hostas, camellias, pieris, heucheras and many others can provide foliage interest, while flowering interest can come from fuchsias, lilies and impatiens.’
Modern Latin, named after Johann H. von Heucher (1677–1747), German botanist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.