One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Polish or Cossack military commander.
- ‘But the Swedes and Cossacks lost, and Peter destroyed the hetman's capital and the hetmanate itself.’
- ‘Why would the Diet forbid Jan Kazimierz to provide military aid to Vyhovs'kyi and what is meant by the statement that the Cossack hetman was ‘an elected king’?’
- ‘In 1648, led by the kozak hetman (military leader) Bohdan Khmelnytsky, Ukrainians rose against Poland, forming an independent state.’
- ‘They were democratic, directly electing their leaders or hetmen.’
- ‘Two hundred years ago King Karl XII of Sweden fought together with the Cossack hetman Ivan Mazepa for the independence of Ukraine from Russia.’
Polish, probably from German Hauptmann ‘captain’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.