One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to hybrid vigour (heterosis).
- ‘These two strains are quite divergent for various qualitative and quantitative traits and produce highly heterotic hybrids when they are crossed and are being used as parental strains to construct the mapping population.’
- ‘If modulation of the GA level is the underlying basis of heterosis, then the d1 / d1 hybrids should experience little or no heterotic response relative to d1 / d1 inbreds.’
- ‘Our model assumes that populations evolve with temporal variation in outcrossing rates with no genetic drift, no selection (particularly no heterotic selection), and with the random mating of outcrossing gametes.’
- ‘It was concluded that heterozygotes were not necessarily advantageous for trait performance even among genotypes derived from such a highly heterotic hybrid.’
Relating to a theory of cosmic strings combining elements of two earlier models.
- ‘One proposed model has been to take the heterotic string theory and make six space dimensions form a small compact space called a Calabi-Yau space.’
- ‘These theories are called heterotic superstring theories.’
- ‘The most studied superstring compactification is heterotic string theory compactified on a Calabi-Yau space in six-dimensions (or three complex dimensions).’
- ‘These two types of closed string modes are called right-movers and left-movers, and this difference will be important later in the supersymmetric heterotic string theory.’
- ‘At one time, string theorists believed there were five distinct superstring theories: type I, types IIA and IIB, and the two heterotic string theories.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.