Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to hybrid vigour (heterosis).
- ‘If modulation of the GA level is the underlying basis of heterosis, then the d1 / d1 hybrids should experience little or no heterotic response relative to d1 / d1 inbreds.’
- ‘Our model assumes that populations evolve with temporal variation in outcrossing rates with no genetic drift, no selection (particularly no heterotic selection), and with the random mating of outcrossing gametes.’
- ‘These two strains are quite divergent for various qualitative and quantitative traits and produce highly heterotic hybrids when they are crossed and are being used as parental strains to construct the mapping population.’
- ‘It was concluded that heterozygotes were not necessarily advantageous for trait performance even among genotypes derived from such a highly heterotic hybrid.’
Relating to a theory of cosmic strings combining elements of two earlier models.
- ‘These theories are called heterotic superstring theories.’
- ‘The most studied superstring compactification is heterotic string theory compactified on a Calabi-Yau space in six-dimensions (or three complex dimensions).’
- ‘These two types of closed string modes are called right-movers and left-movers, and this difference will be important later in the supersymmetric heterotic string theory.’
- ‘At one time, string theorists believed there were five distinct superstring theories: type I, types IIA and IIB, and the two heterotic string theories.’
- ‘One proposed model has been to take the heterotic string theory and make six space dimensions form a small compact space called a Calabi-Yau space.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.