Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- technical term for hybrid vigour
- ‘Genetic background, heterosis, and sex differences can all have profound effects on chiasma and recombination frequencies.’
- ‘With overdominance, unlike alleles are postulated to result in a stimulating effect, so that genetic heterozygosity per se produces heterosis.’
- ‘Traditionally the issue of heterosis has been posed in genetic terms such as dominance and overdominance.’
- ‘The fixation of deleterious mutations may be a general explanation for heterosis in crosses between ecotypes, despite alternative overdominance interpretations.’
- ‘The fundamental genetic and physiological causes of heterosis remain poorly understood in plants after nearly a century of exploitation in crop improvement.’
Early 20th century: from Greek heterōsis alteration, from heteros other.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.