One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- technical term for hybrid vigour
- ‘The fixation of deleterious mutations may be a general explanation for heterosis in crosses between ecotypes, despite alternative overdominance interpretations.’
- ‘The fundamental genetic and physiological causes of heterosis remain poorly understood in plants after nearly a century of exploitation in crop improvement.’
- ‘With overdominance, unlike alleles are postulated to result in a stimulating effect, so that genetic heterozygosity per se produces heterosis.’
- ‘Genetic background, heterosis, and sex differences can all have profound effects on chiasma and recombination frequencies.’
- ‘Traditionally the issue of heterosis has been posed in genetic terms such as dominance and overdominance.’
Early 20th century: from Greek heterōsis ‘alteration’, from heteros ‘other’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.