Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Occurring in two or more different forms, especially at different stages in the life cycle.
- ‘However, to understand the current structure of sex determination in Drosophila, it is necessary to consider its evolution from an ancestral state, prior to the evolution of heteromorphic sex chromosomes and dosage compensation.’
- ‘The evolution of the heteromorphic sex chromosomes from an indistinguishable pair of autosomes is triggered by the suppression of recombination.’
- ‘The hermaphroditic and gynodioecious species, S. conica, and S. vulgaris, which are related to the dioecious species, do not have heteromorphic chromosomes.’
- ‘In organisms in which gender is based on one sex being homomorphic and the other heteromorphic for the sex chromosomes, a process has evolved to equalize the output of products encoded by the genes located there.’
- ‘Silene latifolia is a dioecious plant with heteromorphic sex chromosomes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.