One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a compound whose molecule contains a ring of atoms of at least two elements (one of which is generally carbon).
- ‘Also included are heterocyclic amine compounds, which are formed when meats and eggs are cooked or grilled at high temperatures and also found in cigarette smoke.’
- ‘Cooking meats at high temperatures creates chemicals called heterocyclic amines that are otherwise not present in uncooked meats.’
- ‘The majority of photosensitive molecules have a heterocyclic ring structure similar to that of chlorophyll or hemoglobin.’
- ‘Unlike hydrocarbon based aromatics, which react most readily with electrophiles, perfluoro-aromatics and heterocyclic ring systems react better with nucleophiles.’
- ‘The nucleotides found in cells are derivatives of the heterocyclic highly basic, compounds, purine and pyrimidine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.