Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Chromosome material of different density from normal (usually greater), in which the activity of the genes is modified or suppressed.Compare with euchromatin
- ‘Numerous genes act to remodel and repress chromatin in heterochromatin and around euchromatic genes during development.’
- ‘Studies of genes translocated to heterochromatin have provided insight into the factors that control chromatin states.’
- ‘Thus, the density of genes in heterochromatin is about 1% of that in euchromatin.’
- ‘The organization of DNA into euchromatin and heterochromatin is implicated in gene silencing.’
- ‘Genes located in heterochromatin are transcriptionally silenced, irrespective of their own promoter sequences.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.