One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high tasselled leather boot, originally worn by Hessian troops.
- ‘He stopped walking when the toes of his Hessian boots were a few inches from the toes of her slippers.’
- ‘Wellington boots are based on the design of Hessian boots which were in use during the 18th century.’
- ‘The previously popular Hessian boot, worn with breeches, was styled with a curvy turned-down top and heavy metallic braid - totally unsuitable for wearing under trousers.’
- ‘He was dressed in a gray great-coat with a cape, white cravat, leather pantaloons, Hessian boots, and a large cocked hat à la Russe.’
- ‘All she could hear was the crunching of the snow beneath his polished Hessian boots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.