One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or state of being hesitant.‘Jackson took advantage of some hesitancy in the defence to rifle in a shot’
uncertainty, hesitation, hesitance, unsureness, doubt, doubtfulness, dubiousness, irresolution, irresoluteness, indecision, indecisiveness, equivocation, vacillation, wavering, scepticism, nervousness, second thoughtsreluctance, unwillingness, disinclination, unease, uneasiness, ambivalence, demurral, compunctionView synonyms
- ‘She wavered between hesitancy and her natural propensity for fun.’
- ‘There is one man who will have no doubts or hesitancies.’
- ‘And by and large, they want to have questions asked and they want to have some hesitancy about this initiative.’
- ‘The hesitancy and uncertainty that characterised the lead-up to this conflict has now been taken into the battlefield.’
- ‘With equal frequency he swept the ball off the sod without a second's hesitancy, and all told his was a performance fit to grace any final.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.