One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The reptiles and amphibians of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.
- ‘The book also includes several studies on lesser-known animals - birds, herpetofauna and fishes - many of which have yet to be identified by science.’
- ‘Therefore, the Hudson River population of Necturus is not unique among the aquatic herpetofauna.’
- ‘In areas like savannas, where the scrub jays are in close proximity to suburban habitats, house cats are important predators of many bird species as well as herpetofauna.’
- ‘He also wants to create a comprehensive database of the herpetofauna in India for the next generation of researchers.’
- ‘It is an updated field guide and natural history guide to the herpetofauna of Pennsylvania, also focusing on species found in the northeastern United States.’
Modern Latin, from Greek herpeton ‘creeping thing, reptile’ + fauna.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.