One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of virus diseases caused by herpesviruses, affecting the skin (often with blisters) or the nervous system.
- ‘Some of the common STIs are syphilis, herpes, genital warts, gonorrhea, chlamydia and HIV.’
- ‘Oral herpes is a viral infection that affects the mouth, throat, and parts of the face.’
- ‘In combination with drug therapies, it is useful in treating skin diseases, such as psoriasis, herpes, and eczema.’
- ‘After initial infection from either herpes or hepatitis one would show clinical signs of illness within a few weeks, not after years.’
- ‘The most devastating consequence of genital herpes is neonatal herpes.’
- ‘Sufferers are also more prone to herpes and skin infections.’
- ‘A serious consequence of genital HSV infection is neonatal herpes, which results from transmission from mother to infant.’
- ‘Women should be asked carefully about symptoms of herpes infections at the onset of labor.’
- ‘The technology will be applied to viral targets such as hepatitis B and herpes as well as to other infective agents.’
- ‘The site also offers graphic photos of just what syphilis, herpes, warts and what have you look like.’
- ‘Genital herpes can result from infection with either viral type.’
- ‘Children often become infected with type 1 herpes during the first years of life.’
- ‘Infections like cold, chicken pox, herpes are all caused by viruses.’
- ‘Gonorrhoea, chlamydia and herpes can all, given the right conditions, be passed on by oral sex, she says.’
- ‘Once a person is infected with oral herpes, the virus remains in a nerve located near the cheekbone.’
- ‘Viruses including flu, herpes, measles and chickenpox can cause pneumonia.’
- ‘Although smaller in number, incidences of gonorrhea and genital warts rose, while there was a fall in cases of herpes and syphilis.’
- ‘Viruses like herpes and HPV have moments where sores have not flared-up.’
- ‘The presence of sores due to herpes or syphilis may also increase the chance of spreading HIV regardless of the type of sex activity.’
- ‘Your pap smear can occasionally identify sexually transmitted diseases such as herpes or human papilloma virus.’
Late Middle English (originally used also of other skin conditions): via Latin from Greek herpēs ‘shingles’, literally ‘creeping’, from herpein ‘to creep’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.