One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- short for herptile
- ‘The split between Sonoran and Chihuahuan populations is less extensive, appearing in two of five species of birds, and potentially higher percentages of mammals and herps.’
- ‘In the aridlands of North America, several isolating events are evident in the phylogeographic patterns of birds, mammals and herps.’
- ‘More interesting pictures of Iraqi herps can be found on the Armed Forces Pest Management Board Site.’
- ‘Suffice it to say that a significant number of taxa of mammals, herps and birds show a concordant phylogeographic division in Baja California.’
- ‘From 2002 on, neophyte curatorial assistants (or even well-traveled Ph.Ds.) facing a similar challenge will have breath-taking experience when they heft and open Jay Savage's monumental opus on Costa Rican herps.’
- ‘Many of those herps bear terrifying names - like that of the Gila monster, Heloderma suspectum, the ‘suspicious warty-skinned one.’’
- ‘These 2-foot-tall sheet metal fences will funnel snakes, toads, lizards, and other herps to buried collection buckets, where they can be counted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.