One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly addictive analgesic drug derived from morphine, often used illicitly as a narcotic producing euphoria.
Alternative name: diacetylmorphine; chemical formula: C₁₇H₁₇NO(C₂H₃O₂)₂
drugs, narcotics, addictive drugs, recreational drugs, illegal drugsView synonyms
- ‘In the past he had been addicted to heroin and crack cocaine but was now trying to get treatment and detox.’
- ‘I got into heroin when a mate came to my flat and asked if he could use the toilet.’
- ‘After all, we give heroin addicts methadone don't we?’
- ‘It is widely used as a substitute for patients who are attempting to combat addiction to heroin.’
- ‘Using heroin through injection has many associated risks, mainly from sharing needles, which is common among injectors.’
- ‘About $1.5 million worth of pure South American heroin is sold in the city every day.’
- ‘Hand guns and heroin were seized by drugs squad police in the latest Crack Down raids.’
- ‘There was a small article about Cobain having an accidental heroin overdose in Italy.’
- ‘In each case, the drug user had been injecting heroin into subcutaneous tissue.’
- ‘The defence said that all these had been triggered by his heroin addiction and the need to get cash to feed it.’
- ‘People say it is the start of the slippery slope to harder things like cocaine and heroin.’
- ‘Caffeine is addictive and hooks you in the same way as amphetamines, cocaine and heroin.’
- ‘Any person trying heroin or any addictive drug for the first time knows that it can hook you.’
- ‘Yes, the use of heroin and harder drugs has also risen steadily there over a similar period.’
- ‘Due to this classification, it does not incur such penalties as cocaine or heroin do.’
- ‘Adrian died of a heroin overdose which some of his friends thought was deliberate.’
- ‘The chemists targeted provide the heroin substitute methadone to addicts under the Methadone Treatment Scheme.’
- ‘When he was 16, his mother, a heroin addict, killed herself.’
- ‘At that time, street heroin use was virtually unknown in Australia.’
- ‘Prescription heroin maintenance was standard practice in England from the 1920s to 1960s.’
Late 19th century: from German Heroin, from Latin heros ‘hero’ (because of its effects on the user's self-esteem).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.