One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition in which part of an organ is displaced and protrudes through the wall of the cavity containing it (often involving the intestine at a weak point in the abdominal wall)with modifier ‘umbilical hernia’as modifier ‘a hernia operation’
- ‘A hernia means protrusion of the content of the abdomen, through a weak defect in the abdominal wall.’
- ‘Patients with painful non-urgent conditions such as hernias, varicose veins, cataracts and hip and knee replacements are instead paying for their own care to avoid the crippling wait for free treatment on the NHS.’
- ‘An inguinal hernia is a groin hernia that is caused by a weak spot where the thigh joins the lower stomach.’
- ‘An abdominal examination showed no abnormality apart from an umbilical hernia.’
- ‘Crisis intervention makes intuitive sense to physicians and surgeons used to myocardial infarcts and obstructed hernias.’
- ‘Umbilical hernias, omphaloceles, and gastroschisis usually are apparent on gross inspection.’
- ‘Umbilical or inguinal hernias are associated with a number of known genetic conditions.’
- ‘Men are five times more likely than women to develop inguinal hernias, which are hernias in the groin and the most common.’
- ‘The pain can also result from structural conditions, such as localized endometriosis or rectus sheath hematoma, or from incisional or other abdominal wall hernias.’
- ‘Laparoscopic procedures result in fewer wound complications and incision hernias than traditional abdominal surgery.’
- ‘Rather than making two separate incisions - one over each hernia - the surgeon can repair both hernias using the same three small incisions to insert the laparoscopic instruments.’
- ‘Many types of hernias occur in the abdominal area.’
- ‘Seriously, there's no better way aside from a doctor's latex ensheathed hand in the darker, tenderer areas of your person to assess your hernias and would-be hernias.’
- ‘In addition to the familiar inguinal, femoral and umbilical hernias, a number of unusual hernias can occur.’
- ‘An umbilical hernia occurs when part of the intestine protrudes through a weakness in the abdominal wall at the navel.’
- ‘In some cases, hypermobility can lead to hernias, varicose veins, flat arched feet, foot ache or backache.’
- ‘Later complications include incisional hernias, wound infections, and vitamin deficiencies.’
- ‘The main treatment is surgery, designed to replace the protruded part and to repair the weakness in the wall so preventing further hernias.’
- ‘Reputable pediatric surgeons do not repair simple umbilical hernias in 5-week old infants.’
- ‘Men younger than 18 years, those with recurrent or incarcerated herniae, and those with scrotal diseases (tumor, orchitis) were excluded from the study.’
Late Middle English: from Latin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.