Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
With this letter.‘I enclose herewith a copy of this discussion document’
- ‘A copy of the letter sent by facsimile transmission to Ms Leighton is enclosed herewith for your information.’
- ‘To get that acrid taste out of our brains, herewith, our woman's edition of honoring National Poetry Month by actually reading some poetry.’
- ‘True copies of all of the said documents are produced and shown to me and are exhibited herewith in a bundle marked KDA 1.’
- ‘At long last, No Matter What You Heard has reviewed the year in music and herewith presents to you, dear reader, its Top 10 albums of 2002.’
- ‘Maybe it's just me, but I think John Leonard wrote this review of ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’ while on some sort of mind-altering drug - herewith a sample paragraph.’
- ‘We should all be prepared to defend them from that kind of contemptuous dismissal as exemplified by that venerable battleax of the right, Dorothy Rabinowitz; herewith a small sample.’
- ‘Under the category of ‘It's the Internet and you can't stop me,’ I herewith present a piece of artwork I drew last week.’
- ‘I am herewith sending you the course material for your information.’
- ‘As requested by Gleeds Project Managers, I enclose herewith one copy of the Memorandum of Agreement duly signed by myself.’
- ‘Further to my telephone conversation with John Martin yesterday afternoon, I enclose herewith a copy of the relevant section of our Agreement in respect of works at Churchill Gardens Estate.’
- ‘I draw you attention to a letter dated July 9, 1998, sent to you by Dr. C. T. Kurien, Editor, Review of Development and Change, a copy of which is enclosed herewith.’
- ‘Gentlemen, herewith I enclose a list of some of the churches built with Hummelstown brownstone throughout, furnished by the Hummelstown Brownstone Company within 20 years, and most of them within the last 6 years.’
- ‘I am sending you herewith an article discussing the effect of the current bear market on the future of the mutual fund industry.’
- ‘Since Ms. Saunders apparently missed Introductory Economics in college, herewith a very brief primer on the effects of price controls in consumer credit markets.’
- ‘We have now completed our general average adjustment in this case and enclose herewith a copy for your attention.’
- ‘What I am sending herewith must be final draft for now, everything presses on ahead.’
- ‘Please find enclosed herewith a copy of the expert report.’
- ‘So herewith from the Louis Vuitton 2001 city guide.’
- ‘Oddly enough, a book titled Mountains of the Mind by Robert Macfarlane was recently published, reminding me of this old essay, herewith presented from the dusty stacks.’
- ‘Just for the heck of it (and to see if anyone understands this) - herewith the only Afrikaans poem I've ever written, short and sweet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.