Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
After or as a result of this.
- ‘Presently hereupon Huntly returned into the North, and left Captain John Gordon at Inverkeithing until he recovered of his wound.’
- ‘Hooker confessed, ‘For my owne part I dare not hereupon deny the possibility of their salvation… ’.’
- ‘And hereupon she began to guess, mentioning many names of young men in the village, and asked whether he was that one or that one.’
- ‘I'm hereupon to be known as the only player dealt at the 2000 NBA trading deadline.’
- ‘The Wanderers of other sects hereupon reverently saluted the Lord from afar, and went off on their way.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.