Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
To this document.‘signed in the presence of us both who have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses’
- ‘IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and seal at Wilmington, Delaware, this October 17, 1996.’
- ‘In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the seal of the City of St. Louis, this 11 th day of September, A.D.2005.’
- ‘IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned Bemar Construction Ltd. has hereunto affixed its corporate seal duly attested under the hand of its proper signing officer authorized in that regard this 10th day of October, 1990.’
- ‘In acknowledgment whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature.’
- ‘In witness whereof the hand and seal of the landlord and of the tenant have been hereunto set the day and year first above-written.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.