Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Before this point in this document:‘any such notice shall be considered to have been given within fourteen days after it was mailed in the manner hereinbefore provided’
- ‘Any applicant, instead of executing the work of constructing and draining the roads, as hereinbefore provided, may do one of those things.’
- ‘In all of the circumstances, judgment will issue in favour of the plaintiffs against the defendant for the damages hereinbefore referred to.’
- ‘As hereinbefore set forth he also so testified at trial and that such pain was excruciating.’
- ‘Further, the conduct of the Legal Aid Board as hereinbefore set out constituted the deliberate commission by the Legal Aid Board of unlawful acts in a manner foreseeably injurious to the Claimant.’
- ‘Following the said surgical procedures set forth in Paragraph 7 hereinbefore, the Plaintiff's condition was worse than it had been pre-operatively.’
- ‘In the first place the duty of care owed by the surveyors to Mrs Smith resulted from the proximate relationship between them arising in the circumstances hereinbefore described.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.