Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Further on in this document.‘grievous bodily harm (hereinafter GBH)’
- ‘The following actions shall be commenced within and not after the times respectively hereinafter mentioned.’
- ‘Any loss other than a total loss, as hereinafter defined, is a partial loss.’
- ‘The subscribers to the Memorandum of Association and such other persons as the Council shall admit to membership in accordance with the provisions hereinafter contained shall be members of the Company.’
- ‘Subject to the preceding sections of this Act and as hereinafter provided, actions shall and may be commenced within the time herein expressed after the cause of such actions.’
- ‘The Legislative Assembly shall consist of… members, who shall be elected for the several electoral districts hereinafter named and defined.’
- ‘Shipowners and salvors, as hereinafter defined, may limit their liability in accordance with the rules of this Convention for claims set out in Article 2.’
- ‘I shall deal with such submission hereinafter.’
- ‘Improvement Works wishes the Contractor to complete the design of and to execute and complete the Works (as hereinafter defined).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.