Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An inclination in people or animals to behave or think like the majority:‘What makes them go? In my view, it's the herd instinct’
- ‘The herd instinct and the lack of overseas investment opportunities in the 1980s caused developers to create a patchwork of shoddy, half-empty suburban malls.’
- ‘Dave Rankin has a different point of view: ‘Public dress codes are normally enforced by our herd instinct.’’
- ‘The origin of these summer traditions is a primal herd instinct, the urge to join with others in a festive act.’
- ‘Unfortunately, thanks to the herd instinct in our current media culture, anyone who publicly raises this question is immediately labeled a conspiracy theorist.’
- ‘It seems to me that the government has followed the herd instinct and ignored the opportunity of freedom that the present situation in fact allows people.’
- ‘There was a herd instinct: people were buying shares not because they knew about the business but simply because others were doing so and they did not want to miss out.’
- ‘This herd instinct is so powerful that it is enough to sway market sentiment to either the bullish or bearish side, which is etched into the charts in the form of certain chart patterns.’
- ‘As Freud put it, two people declaring they are in love ‘are making a demonstration against the herd instinct, the group feeling.’’
- ‘He gives solid reasons for denying that the sense of moral obligation could arise from a herd instinct, from social convention, or from a Freudian superego.’
- ‘Even the folks who were afraid to eat garlic snakes crowded around the stall to look at the weird vegetables and drew more customers in by appealing to their herd instinct.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.