One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book recording the pedigrees of cattle, goats, or other livestock.
- ‘The first livestock breed to receive this kind of formal attention was the shorthorn cow, the subject of a herd book published in 1822.’
- ‘A breed has been bred in controlled conditions, with documentation in the form of a herd book.’
- ‘In livestock populations this may be realistic, where the recent bottleneck is due to the introduction of herd books.’
- ‘The company provides herd book, field, and station tests and artificial insemination and conducts a national pig-breeding program in Switzerland.’
- ‘This will greatly improve the quality of breeding and management information available to farmers through milk recording, herd books and A.I. in the future.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.