Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animal that feeds on plants.[as modifier] ‘predatory carnivores and their herbivore prey’
- ‘Plants, herbivores and carnivores are connected through an intricate array of chemical linkages.’
- ‘The plants supported a variety of large and small herbivores that in turn were prey for carnivores and scavengers.’
- ‘Numerous ecological studies have demonstrated that attack by herbivores can reduce plant fitness.’
- ‘These animals are herbivores, specializing on the flowers of creosote bushes.’
- ‘This includes both carnivores such as wolves, which eat other animals, and herbivores such as cows, which eat plants.’
- ‘Bristletails are nocturnal herbivores and detritivores with a very broad dietary range.’
- ‘Two basic assumptions lie at the root of most theories of coevolution between plants and their herbivores.’
- ‘Also known as a ‘parrot lizard’ for its parrotlike beak, the herbivore was a strong, agile dinosaur that walked on its two hind legs.’
- ‘Biomass of herbivores and predators may also reflect resource levels and plant biomass.’
- ‘They do not use this horn to ‘spike’ animals for food, as they are plant eating herbivores.’
- ‘When Jane Goodall first witnessed and wrote of chimps eating meat, our notion of these primates as passive herbivores changed completely.’
- ‘Many herbivores, including the elephants of today, are exceptionally strong swimmers.’
- ‘Feeding on them are microscopic and macroscopic herbivores, with carnivores preying on them.’
- ‘One surface represented the pattern of selection exerted by herbivores alone on these characters.’
- ‘Animals can obtain their phosphorus directly form the plants if the animal is a herbivore.’
- ‘Researchers believe that the goose was evolving into the niche of mammalian herbivores which were missing from the islands.’
- ‘Any sensible person could see that it could not be healthy to feed sheep remains to herbivores such as cows.’
- ‘The longer herbivore gut is necessary because plant material is more difficult to digest than animal material.’
- ‘The previously discussed benefits of large size to a mammalian herbivore probably also accrued to large herbivorous dinosaurs.’
- ‘The natural world requires a balance of carnivores, omnivores and herbivores.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin herba herb + -vore (see -vorous).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.