Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance that is toxic to plants, used to destroy unwanted vegetation:‘farmers sprayed a protected wildflower meadow with herbicide’
- ‘In general, herbicides and fungicides are less toxic than many of the other types of pesticides.’
- ‘Today billions of dollars are spent in pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.’
- ‘It remains one of the most effective and safest broadleaf herbicides available.’
- ‘If there is anything we can do that will reduce the use of pesticides or herbicides, it will be good for agriculture.’
- ‘Atrazine is an herbicide widely used to control weeds in Midwest corn and soybean fields.’
- ‘Popular herbicides like atrazine and alachlor just didn't show up at the levels expected.’
- ‘Although Alberta farmers use more pesticides and herbicides than city folks, they do so over a much larger area.’
- ‘Preplant incorporated herbicides are incorporated into the soil prior to planting.’
- ‘In my opinion the application of fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides makes for better quality food.’
- ‘So the herbicides had to go - and winter annual cover crops can be killed mechanically.’
- ‘Spring is the most effective time to use herbicides instead of tillage to control weeds.’
- ‘Do not count on postemergence herbicides to control weeds that have already emerged at planting.’
- ‘Many soybean herbicides utilized for broadleaf control are cell membrane disrupters.’
- ‘The environment-friendly farming avoids use of artificial pesticides and herbicides.’
- ‘Growers should read and understand the labels on herbicides and other pesticides they use.’
- ‘If it is not possible to dig or pull plants, use herbicides labeled for target plants that will not harm algae.’
- ‘Apply herbicides when plants are in the rosette stage and prior to bolting.’
- ‘Victory would be secured with pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.’
- ‘The non-atrazine herbicides were at least as effective as the atrazine herbicides.’
- ‘Tillage can incorporate pre-emergence herbicides reducing the need for moisture.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.