One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to herbs (in the botanical sense).
- ‘Overwintering herbaceous plants or evergreen trees can only survive the winter seasons of cold climates when they are able to acclimate.’
- ‘Similar salt concentrations can be measured in soil solution of salt-marshes inhabited by a large variety of herbaceous flowering plants.’
- ‘It is therefore likely that photorespiration of herbaceous leaves is driven by a large carbon pool.’
- ‘The herbaceous vegetation was best developed at that time of year.’
- ‘Many species of native shrubs, vines and herbaceous plants were observed along hedgerows.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin herbaceus ‘grassy’ (from herba ‘grass, herb’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.