Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One's wife.‘I was taking her indoors out for a day at the zoo’
girlfriend, girl, sweetheart, partner, significant other, inamorata, fiancéeView synonyms
- ‘Anyway, back from the pub and out for a quick meal with her indoors and that concludes the heady celebrations.’
- ‘Announce that you are going on holiday or on an even longer break without him or her indoors and you may as well be signing your divorce papers.’
- ‘Needing a quick drink after our shocking experience, we repaired to Garavan's and discoursed sapiently before the Merc had to get home to her indoors with the rolling pin.’
- ‘It would be a brilliant way of getting away from her indoors.’
- ‘I'm bound to want it but it's justifying it to her indoors that is the difficult bit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.