One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group or set of seven.
- ‘The zipper was positioned either immediately after the heads or following 15 heptads of native sequence.’
- ‘Coiled coils commonly contain a heptad of residues labeled A-G, repeated at least three or four times.’
- ‘In fibrous proteins, the coiled coil structures can be many heptads long.’
- ‘Add vowels to create words, then delete this heptad of words.’
- ‘The amino acids in the heptad repeats that constitute the predicted coiled-coil regions are underlined.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek heptas, heptad-, from hepta ‘seven’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.