One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A social gathering of women, especially a hen night.
- ‘But short of borrowing a boob tube from the hen party along the corridor (a definitive last resort), we stuck to what we knew best: jeans, boots and hefty winter coats.’
- ‘We booked a table in the restaurant for a hen party and despite confirming the booking with the manager three times and our names being on the guest list, the restaurant wasn't aware of our reservation.’
- ‘Charlton Heston makes an appearance that ends in disaster, so the ladies are left to carry on their hen party undisturbed.’
- ‘The day after her hen party, the 23-year-old died instantly when a drag-racing drink-driver slammed into her cousin's car.’
- ‘It's a hen party, and I'm the sole rooster - but that doesn't seem to matter.’
- ‘While there was a hen party and a 21st birthday bash on this particular night, most of the Opry's visitors are not in the first flush of youth.’
- ‘She didn't have a leaving bash - her hen party's tonight, and some of the regulars are going to the wedding reception.’
- ‘We are part of a hen party in the film, so we were singing, shouting and causing a riot basically.’
- ‘Frankly, if he hadn't emerged by the time Jimmy did, I would have dragged the nearest police officer away from his vital duty of holding a bride in his arms as the rest of her homeward-bound hen party took photos.’
- ‘‘One woman once threw something through the pub window when she was extremely drunk and, about two years ago, we had trouble with a hen party from Bradford, who picked a fight with a group of local girls,’ he said.’
- ‘The women were among a group of friends on their way back from a hen party in Amsterdam when they discovered the bloody aftermath of a hit-and-run incident.’
- ‘The young Japanese woman beside me is shaking with excitement, while the hen party to our left is screaming loud enough to raise the roof.’
- ‘The two had obtained their flowers from a passing hen party.’
- ‘A hen party is in the house and predatory males start to gather.’
- ‘‘Everyone said that they'd never been to such a well-run hen party before,’ agrees McIntosh, of her night at One Devonshire Gardens.’
- ‘It is difficult to imagine many other directors who could make a hen party want to go and see a Shakespeare play.’
- ‘With the booming city of Kilkenny less than a 90-minute train journey from Dublin, the makings of a hen party to remember are on the group's doorstep.’
- ‘Tourists huddled around maps and a hen party had started to gather nearby.’
- ‘I went to a hen party - women in short skirts and slashed hairdos.’
- ‘Being a student there and having to put up with a hen party in every establishment can get tedious, which is why this place is one of the best bars in the North East even in England.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.