Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The level of the lower edge of a garment such as a skirt, dress, or coat.‘modest dress means that hemlines must be below the knee’
- ‘There were groups of Neanderthal-looking guys talking about football, and groups of girls wearing dresses with way high hemlines and way low necklines.’
- ‘Turn the shirts inside out, and stitch the sleeves and bottom hemlines shut.’
- ‘Women will be wearing sweaters, blousey linen and dresses with hemlines hovering below the knee.’
- ‘More sedate but nonetheless oozing French bohemian cool are overcoats with ruched hemlines in soft corduroy by Lilith.’
- ‘My eyes rested on a magnificent strapless light blue dress with sequins dotting the hemline.’
- ‘Crafted from a blend of virgin wool, angora and polyamide, this classic pullover features a crew neckline and ribbed hemline.’
- ‘Some dresses feature freaky frilled hemlines, and striped suits were shown with dramatic hats that wouldn't have looked out of place at Ascot.’
- ‘On display were corsets in shimmering silks, empire line tops and dresses, cotton layer skirts with tattered hemlines.’
- ‘With her high necklines and long hemlines, she wasn't getting anybody excited.’
- ‘Emmeline waved to Marley and tugged the hemline of her suede skirt.’
- ‘She put on a black strapless dress that showed just a hint of cleavage, clinging to her body before falling from her waist into a kerchief hemline.’
- ‘Some designers showed fur as a trim - around the necklines or hemlines of dresses, or on the collars and cuffs of sweaters and jackets.’
- ‘Callie chose an off-the-shoulder black top with a flowing, knee-length black and white floral-printed skirt with an ruffled hemline.’
- ‘And then - to my complete horror - he placed his hand gently on my thigh, right below the hemline of my skirt.’
- ‘Make long basting stitches to identify centerlines, pocket or tab placements, hemlines and topstitching guides.’
- ‘Dragons on the neckline, at the wrists and at the hemline of the gown stare boldly outward.’
- ‘For lightweight fabrics, such as microfibers, I also recommend fusing interfacing around the bottom hemline of the coat as well.’
- ‘The silhouette is feminine with detailed embroidery and beading scattered along neck and hemlines.’
- ‘Michelle, auditioning for a $200 role that involves cuddling in a singer's lap, is shown tugging her hemline lower down her thighs.’
- ‘The drip-shape collar cut, exquisite embroidery in the hemline of the dress and the little ribbon in the coat express quality handicraft and pure chic.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.