Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An insect of the order Hemiptera or bugs, such as an aphid, cicada, or leafhopper.
- ‘Based exclusively on esophageal contents, hemipterans, including both corixids and notonectids, were not frequently ingested by female Buffleheads breeding on the Chilcotin Plateau.’
- ‘In June, there was a significant increase in consumption of hemipterans.’
- ‘Worldwide, stilt bugs are a relatively small group of unusual hemipterans, or true bugs, in the family Berytidae.’
- ‘Predaceous arthropods were tallied and assigned to general taxonomic groups: spiders, hymenopterans, hemipterans, and coccinellids.’
- ‘Other wasps parasitize the eggs or larvae of other insects, such as the wasp below, which is shown emerging from the egg of a hemipteran that was parasitized.’
Relating to or denoting hemipterans.
- ‘This was not, however, the same as the hemipteran rostrum.’
- ‘The primary reason for this is that a carnivorous hemipteran lives obligately in very close association with Roridula.’
- ‘Members of the family Scelionidae are egg parasitoids of several economically-important hemipteran pests.’
- ‘They suggest that Roridula absorbs nitrogen from the liquid hemipteran faeces directly through the cuticle.’
- ‘Recently, it was suggested that the hemipteran - plant interaction constituted a new pathway for plant carnivory.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.