One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant which obtains or may obtain part of its food by parasitism, e.g. mistletoe, which also photosynthesizes.
- ‘On emergence, holoparasites produce only a nonphotosynthetic inflorescence, whereas hemiparasites develop a photosynthetic shoot system before flowering.’
- ‘Angiosperm root hemiparasites attach to the root system of a host plant and extract xylem sap after gaining contact with xylem vessels.’
- ‘In the case of hemiparasites that rely on solutes from the host transpiration stream, it is clear that a higher conductance of parasite xylem and stomata sustains water flux from the host.’
- ‘Rhinanthus minor is a facultative hemiparasite found in natural and semi-natural grasslands throughout the UK and Europe.’
- ‘The federally endangered hemiparasite Schwalbea americana is a fire-dependent plant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.