Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant which obtains or may obtain part of its food by parasitism, e.g. mistletoe, which also photosynthesizes.
- ‘In the case of hemiparasites that rely on solutes from the host transpiration stream, it is clear that a higher conductance of parasite xylem and stomata sustains water flux from the host.’
- ‘Angiosperm root hemiparasites attach to the root system of a host plant and extract xylem sap after gaining contact with xylem vessels.’
- ‘On emergence, holoparasites produce only a nonphotosynthetic inflorescence, whereas hemiparasites develop a photosynthetic shoot system before flowering.’
- ‘The federally endangered hemiparasite Schwalbea americana is a fire-dependent plant.’
- ‘Rhinanthus minor is a facultative hemiparasite found in natural and semi-natural grasslands throughout the UK and Europe.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.