One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pain affecting one side of the head.‘he had shown that carotid pressure relieved the pain of hemicrania’
sore head, migraineView synonyms
- ‘Hemicrania continua is not triggered by neck movements, but tender spots in the neck may be present.’
- ‘Paroxysmal hemicrania is characterized by attacks of intense periorbital pain lasting 5 to 30 minutes and occurring up to dozens of times a day.’
- ‘In an earlier paper he had shown that carotid pressure relieved the pain of hemicrania.’
- ‘Although similar to cluster headache, paroxysmal hemicrania headaches are briefer and are treated effectively with indomethacin.’
- ‘Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania or cluster headache attacks are never evoked by tactile stimuli.’
Late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek hēmikrania, from hēmi- ‘half’ + kranion ‘skull’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.