Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Blindness over half the field of vision.
- ‘My main symptoms are rapid onset aura with teichopsia, fortification spectra, unilateral temporal hemianopia and scintillating scotoma, in varying degrees of influence.’
- ‘The test showed a complete left homonymous hemianopsia.’
- ‘Interruption of one optic tract causes total blindness in the opposite half of the visual field - hemianopia.’
- ‘In hemianopsia persons complain of blindness in one eye.’
- ‘A 35-year-old woman was referred to our neurosurgery department with symptoms of hemianopsia, diabetes insipidus, amenorrhea, and a presumptive diagnosis of pituitary tumor.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.